The Leader in Freeing Differentially Stuck Pipe since 1988
COASTAL SPOT® is a unique drilling fluid additive that combines a polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic hydrocarbon, special emulsifiers, activators, and initiators to free differentially stuck pipe.
Differential pressure sticking is the most common cause of stuck pipe in drilling operations. Circumstances that lead to differential sticking vary and include:
- Overbalanced formation pressure
- Stationary drill string
- Excessive filter cake
As drilling fluid is lost into the formation, the small pores of the formation face serve as filters, trapping the solids present in the mud system and causing filter cake thickening. COASTAL SPOT® dehydrates and cracks this filter cake, penetrating the area around the pipe with the highly lubricious PAO, allowing the stuck pipe to become free.
COASTAL SPOT® contains no aromatics or other undesirable characteristics found in traditional mineral and diesel oils. Toxicity testing under NPDES guidelines shows that COASTAL SPOT® has no effect on the LC50 of the drilling mud system and does not cause sheening.
Sun’s REDI-SPOT™ allows operators to keep COASTAL SPOT® readily available on the drilling rig, until the product is needed. This insures the operator can pump the pill down hole promptly, significantly increasing the probability for success.
Advantages and Benefits
- No effect on LC50 value of active mud system
- Base fluid thermal stability >600°F (315°C)
- No adverse effect on rheological properties
- Easily weighted up with barite
- Replacement for diesel and mineral oil based fluids
- Easily blended on location
- Specific Gravity: 0.80
- Viscosity SUS 100°F 51.3
- Flash Point COC: >300°F (149°C)
- Pour Point: -20°F (-28°C)
- Appearance: Clear amber liquid
- Rig storage bulk containers - 275 gallon (6.5 bbl) and 550 gallon (13 bbl)
To order COASTAL SPOT® or for more information, call 713-690-3939 or e-mail us.